Tunisia day 7

This post was meant to be titled Tunisia – Manchester as we should have been in the UK about 2 hours ago but I write this just before midnight at the end of Sunday about half way through our delayed 3 and a half hour flight. Originally delayed by snow in Manchester and then further by an “incident” involving a Thomas Cook plane in Turin.

Today started promisingly enough – kids were a bit tired from last nights late finish but nothing serious. Packing was a slight hassle making sure overnight stuff is to hand in one or two cases (and boy isn’t that going to be dead handy at 2am-ish when we finally reach our hotel room!!)

We had a good breakfast – very good in the case of the kids – and after packing went down to the pool. Once again it was brass monkeys in the water so we retreated to the indoor pool and spent a good hour or so relaxing and messing about in there.

We went out for a sunbathe and a game of darts and then lunch although we weren’t really all that hungry to be honest but I was worried we were running out of time if the kids wanted to swim some more.

At some stage (possibly impressed by the girl paddling about in the freezing water the past couple of days) I decided I was going to get in the outdoor pool regardless of the temperature. It took a certain level of time and committment involving going down the pool steps one at a time as your body gets used to the sub-zero (well it felt like it!) temperatures.

In the end I spent probably half an hour in the water and it was great actually although Lauren, who also did it, were getting some funny looks, probably much like those we gave to that girl in the water a few days back. After that there was only time for a very quick game of pool and then our taxi was there to take us away.

It was really a lovely hotel and I would recommend it, except I’m not sure I’d go back because I’m sure there are better locations.

The airport in Monastir was alright and to be honest it has more shops in departures before security than Manchester. They do have some interesting approaches to security in Tunisia though – no sticking liquids in a little plastic bag here.

I got word about the flight delay from Jersey first of all but we are told as we checked in which is fair enough really.

Then the extent of the delay gradually became apparent but actually we were looked after well enough. Not much more the airline or airport could do really. There were at least 2 other long delayed flights so the queue for free (airline paid-for) food was pretty long but that just required a little patience.  The kids were very patient and behaved nearly perfectly.

Well I guess that brings you up to date. I’ve scratched the idea of going into central Manchester tomorrow. I think we’ll keep our hotel room as late as we can then go straight for our connecting flight. Then be back home and back to school for the kids and one more busy day off work for me.

Hope these posts haven’t been too dull to read as they’ve been pretty good fun to write. Counting the weeks till my next trip now – Cardiff for the British Speedway GP! Then a family holiday to Turkey not long after that. Really can’t wait!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s